******My teacher wasn't half as nice as yours seems to be******

'My teacher wasn't half as nice as yours seems to be.
His name was Mister Unsworth and he taught us history.
And when you didn't know a date he'd get you by the ear
And start to twist while you sat there quite paralyzed with fear.
He'd twist and twist and twist your ear and twist it more and more.
Until at last the ear came off and landed on the floor.
Our class was full of one-eared boys. I'm certain there were eight.
Who'd had them twisted off because they didn't know a date.
So let us now praise teachers who today are all so fine
And yours in particular is totally divine.'
*Roald Dahl*

My teacher wasn't half as nice as yours seems to be
Roald Dahl
***
                                         As kids we may all think that we have the worst teacher in the world but ,we really don't know how much they are worth until we loose them. Our teachers are those important people who take time from their lives to help us learn and become the best people we can be. After reading the poem "My teacher wasn't half as nice as yours seems to be" by "Roald Dahl" I think the idea the speaker is trying to send to the reader is that we should appreciate our teachers because he didn't have kind teachers like we do. I think this because in the poem when the speaker (the poet) says "His name was Mister Unsworth and he taught us history. And when you didn't know a date he'd get you by the ear, And start to twist while you sat there quite paralyzed with fear" this best portrays that the speaker is talking about his old teacher and he was very cruel. I think it is the poet telling his point of view of his experience with his teacher because when the poet says "My teacher" the MY shows his.In the first 8 stanzas of the book the mood is very sad, serious,and I imagined that it was like a story being told by another person who might be the poet. I I think this because of the use of diction such as My, wasn't, didn't, twist, paralyzed and feared area ll words to show a sad and story like theme in the first 8 lines in the poem. After those 8 lines the mood totally changes from sad to cheerful. In the last 2 lines the speaker begins to try to send out a message to the reader of being thankful for the teacher they have now. I think this because when the speaker says "So let us now praise teachers who today are all so fine, And yours in particular is totally divine.'" this best illuminates that the speaker is trying to send out a message to the reader that we should appreciate our teachers.(HOMEWORK 3/25/13)

No comments:

Post a Comment