******Men********

When I was young, I used to
Watch behind the curtains
As men walked up and down the street. Wino men, old men.
Young men sharp as mustard.
See them. Men are always
Going somewhere.
They knew I was there. Fifteen
Years old and starving for them.
Under my window, they would pauses,
Their shoulders high like the
Breasts of a young girl,
Jacket tails slapping over
Those behinds,
Men.

One day they hold you in the
Palms of their hands, gentle, as if you
Were the last raw egg in the world. Then
They tighten up. Just a little. The
First squeeze is nice. A quick hug.
Soft into your defenselessness. A little
More. The hurt begins. Wrench out a
Smile that slides around the fear. When the
Air disappears,
Your mind pops, exploding fiercely, briefly,
Like the head of a kitchen match. Shattered.
It is your juice
That runs down their legs. Staining their shoes.
When the earth rights itself again,
And taste tries to return to the tongue,
Your body has slammed shut. Forever.
No keys exist.

Then the window draws full upon
Your mind. There, just beyond
The sway of curtains, men walk.
Knowing something.
Going someplace.
But this time, I will simply
Stand and watch.

Maybe.

Maya Angelou

Men 

Maya Angelou 

****

                           After reading the poem "Men" by "Maya Angelou" the idea is about a young girl who is the poet who talks about her  temptation for sexual desire for men when she was young and in the second paragraph she talks about maybe her first sexual experience with a man. I believe this is the idea because in the beginning the speaker says "They knew I was there. Fifteen,Years old and starving for them" this best portrays that the speaker is saying that the men "they" knew she was their in her home innocent and untouched. They also knew she was 15 wanting them. This line as well portrays that the speaker the 15 year old girl also had a temptation for them looking out the window waiting for them this as well is best portrayed in the beginning when the speaker says "As men walked up and down the street. Wino men, old men., Young men sharp as mustard." this illuminate that the speaker who is the young 15 year old girl is admiring all the types of sorts of men in the world who walk outside in the streets as she admires far through her window. From the actions of the speaker staring at the men outside the window and starving for them best illuminates that the speaker has a sexual desire for them. Also from my prior knowledge at this age this is when girls emotions are allover the place and are usually uncontrollable with love so this might as well be the reason why she has a sexual desire for the men. In the second stanza know I believe maybe the speaker describes her first sexual experience or even what she sees in relationships . In the second stanza it sates "One day they hold you in the, Palms of their hands, gentle, as if you Were the last raw egg in the world. Then They tighten up. Just a little. The First squeeze is nice. A quick hug. Soft into your defenselessness. A little More. The hurt begins." maybe this portrays her first sexual experience because in these following lines she explains at first the man treats you special and like if you were the last piece of food on earth after a while they begin to squeeze you gently and the they become aggressive and mean because they are using the fact that you are innocent so they take advantage. Like the speaker says "soft in your defenselessness "  they treat you soft because your innocent and then they control you and take over you. At the end of the poem I think that the speaker regrets her first sexual experience because at first she explains that she is a young 15 year old girl watching at the window at men and wanting them but now, at the end the speaker says "But this time, I will simply, Stand and watch." this proves that now she says she will just stand and watch them and pretty much at first she was curious and happy for men but now, she must fell hopeless and upset from them and just gave up on them. It is best proven that she is curious,happy and wanting men with the use of diction when the speaker uses the words "starving", "high","gentle", "nice" and "hug" but as you continue to read the poem the speaker's point of view of men changes. The speaker begins to not like them and loose hope she as well becomes hopeless. This best proven from the use of diction in the poem. When the speaker says "hurt", "fear","Wrenched", "smile slides","disappears," "shattered" ,"shut" and more best proves how the speakers point of view for men changes and she begins to not like them anymore. Through the poem the speaker(the poets) tone is very narrative at the beginning then at the end is hopeless because thought the poem she retails her story of admiring men and then she begins to be hopeless. This is best proven in the beginning the speaker says "When I was young, I used to" this best proves narration of her life story back then as you continue to read the speaker becomes hopeless when she says "But this time, I will simply, Stand and watch." this best portrays that the speaker becomes hopeless and just says next time I won't do the mistake I did before.(HOMEWORK 3/20/13)

 Strolling
BY ANGELA JACKSON

Some places you could die in,
                                                if you could just go on
                                                living there.
The boy, his legs bare and small,
swinging in the stroller, sockless, suede-shoed feet touching
the runner. He can walk, but the woman
keeps him from running
into the street. He won’t obey
but listens to everything we say. Head tilted, face changing
with the conversation. Green leaves leap through fences.
Cars wait while we cross. And each bird the boy greets
with its name, “Bird,” flies away. The sky holds everything.

The woman pushes her son’s son along. Her arms strong enough
   to hold
nine strong horses prancing.
She’s given her money away
because someone had to bury
a child. That is the worst thing.
A mother burying her child.

I would never do that to her, even though it means
what it means.
A thousand years from now
when I am only a dream
I will dream this dream
of strolling.
Perhaps I am doing so now.
Strolling
Angela Jackson
***

                                                       After reading the poem, "Strolling" by, "Angela Jackson" I think the main idea of the poem is about a grandmother who is taking care of her grandson because her son might of died from a recent disease and wasn't his fault. This is a sad,depressing and upsetting poem. I think this is the main idea of the poem because when the author states,"The woman pushes her son's son along. Her arms strong enough to hold" this illuminates that their is an old lady pushing a baby boy in her stroller.Also when the speaker says "That is the worst thing. A mother burying her child. I would never do that to her, even though it means what it means" this portrays that maybe the old lady's son passed away by a car accident or even illness that just came to him. The speaker explains he would have never done that and it just  came to him. The speaker explains he would have never done that and it just happened because it was meant to happen. Also maybe her son had a child and she had to take care of his son in return. If I were in the mother's shoes I would fell the same emotions because my whole life I was taking care of him, raised him (son) and did everything to make him happy and at the end I have no choice but to bury him. This poem as well makes the reader fell for the grandmother because she did every thing for her son and loved him more than herself just like other moms and then he's gone before she even is. I also think that the speaker of the story is the lady's son speaking from his point of view. This is best proven when the speaker says "I would never do that to her" portrays that he is above in heaven maybe and is looking down at his mom and says he would have never meant m=to make his mom bury him and lastly I think the poem is heartbroken and said because int he use of diction in the poem when the speaker says "Die in,","Worst thing" and "never" these are sad and harsh words that prove that the poem is a sad poem.(HOMEWORK 3/20/13)

Do you remember our love?


-----------------------------Karina El Campo

Between our little fights and our giggles
Do you remember that you were the first lips I touched?
The first hand I held,
The first one I cared for,
The only one I ever loved.
Do you remember you made me smile when I first saw you?
The first time I did I knew there was something there.
A spark between us that I felt only when I was with you.
Do you remember that you were the first to put your arms around my waist?
The first to lift me in the air.
You were my Romeo, I was your Juliet<3
Do you remember we weren't allowed to see each other?
But still we made it happen.
We weren't allowed to talk, but still, we managed.
Do you remember when we happened you held me so tight?
We didn't want to let go
Do you remember when I would look at you and just smile?
You gave thanks to God everyday since he put me in your life.
Do you remember when it was over?
We still cared for each other.
You told me you wished the best for me.
Do you remember that you were the first one I ever cried for?
Besides my daddy when he left me.
Do you remember we had something that nobody had?
Something people looked for, but didn't find.
You were the best I ever had. (:
You were my first love. <3
If I had three wishes the first one would be,
To see that beautiful smile I love to see.
The second would be to be in your arms just one more time.
The third would be to have you back in my life,
To have you forever baby.
'Till this day you’re still in my heart. And I don't regret a thing.

Do you remember our love?
Karina El Campo
**
                           After I read the poem,"Do you remember our love?" by "Karina El Campo" the main idea is about a girl who is telling her mate do you remember all the wonderful romantic times they had together.When the speaker says, "Do you remember that you were the first lips I touched? The first hand I held" best portrays that the female speaker is asking her mate questions of remembering of their first kiss. This shows that the speaker is trying to remember her mate on all the wonderful times they had together.I also think that the speaker is a female girl because when the speaker says "Do you remember that you were the first to put your arms around my waist?, The first to lift me in the air.,You were my Romeo, I was your Juliet<3" this best illuminates that Juliet from my prior knowledge is a girl who had a romantic love story with a boy named Romeo. Also a boy usually puts his hand around a girls waist and lifts a girl in  the air like a princess.I also think that the poem is a happy, fairy-tale like and romantic poem because of the diction used in the poem. The words like "love, remember  heart ,forever, baby, wishes, .cared, life, romeo, Juliet hand and kiss" all show a happy,romantic and fairy tale like theme for the poem.(HOMEWORK 3/19/13)

No comments:

Post a Comment