*****The Quiet World******

In an effort to get people to look
into each other's eyes more,
and also to appease the mutes,
the government has decided
to allot each person exactly one hundred
and sixty-seven words, per day.

When the phone rings, I put it to my ear
without saying hello. In the restaurant
I point at chicken noodle soup.
I am adjusting well to the new way.

Late at night, I call my long distance lover,
proudly say I only used fifty-nine today.
I saved the rest for you.

When she doesn't respond,
I know she's used up all her words,
so I slowly whisper I love you
thirty-two and a third times.
After that, we just sit on the line
and listen to each other breathe.
--------Jeffrey McDaniel
 The quiet world
Jeffrey McDaniel
*****
                           When you love a person you will do many things to make them comfortable. After reading the poem "The Quiet World" by "Jeffrey McDaniel" I think the idea of the poem is about 2 lovers who are in a long distance relationship and in the government that they have it provides exactly one hundred and sixty seven words to say in a day. The female on the other hand, finished all her words so the male decided to use up his 32 words he left to tell her I love you. I as well think that the speaker is male man who works in a restaurant this is best portrayed when the speaker says "When the phone rings, I put it to my ear without saying hello. In the restaurant. I point at chicken noodle soup." this bests shows how the male man doesn't say hello and just points to the soup so he can save his words that he has to talk to the one his lover. Also when in the poem the speaker says "the government has decided, to allot each person exactly one hundred and sixty-seven words, per day." this as well best shows how the government there just provides each person 167 words.What makes me think that the female who is in a long distance relationship with the speaker who is a male who works in restaurant is best proven when the speaker says "Late at night, I call my long distance lover, proudly say I only used fifty-nine today.I saved the rest for you." these stanzas best shows how at night the male speaker decides to speak with his lover and tell her about he only used 59 words and left the rest for him to talk to her. This tells me that the male speaker must really love his long distance lover because he saved her more than half of the words he has left. Also in the last stanza when the speaker says "When she doesn't respond, I know she's used up all her words,  so I slowly whisper I love you thirty-two and a third times. After that, we just sit on the line and listen to each other breathe." this as well best proves how the speaker loves his lover a lot and because he noticed she finished all her words he used all the words he has left to tell her I love you instead of fighting with her and when he was done he and his lover just breathed. I think the tone of the speaker in the beginning is indigent but in a calm way and the middle and end become very thankful, lighthearted and jovial when he is talking about his lover I think in the beginning he seems to be indignant but calm because the speaker's use of diction such as "in, effort, words, government and appease show that the speaker and the poem's tone and mood is indignant but at the same time the speaker is calm and doesn't argue.At the end as well when he tells his lover I love you with all his left over words he is thankful to speak to her even though she finished all her words. The poem was very romantic and as well about a couple who are in love and how the male  lover sacrifices all his words to tell his lover that he loves her and patiently at the end breaths back and forth to her. I love how the poem at the end is very sweet how the male lover sacrifices his words for his lover to tell her I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment