A Dream Within A Dream

Take this kiss upon the brow!

And, in parting from you now,

Thus much let me avow-

You are not wrong, who deem

That my days have been a dream;

Yet if hope has flown away

In a night, or in a day,

In a vision, or in none,

Is it therefore the less gone?

All that we see or seem

Is but a dream within a dream.


I stand amid the roar

Of a surf-tormented shore,

And I hold within my hand

Grains of the golden sand-

How few! yet how they creep

Through my fingers to the deep,

While I weep- while I weep!

O God! can I not grasp

Them with a tighter clasp?

O God! can I not save

One from the pitiless wave?

Is all that we see or seem

But a dream within a dream? 

Edgar Allan Poe

A dream within a dream
Edgar Allen Poe
***

              After I read the poem "A dream within a dream" by "Edgar Allan Poe" is about love,importance of another person,loss and hope.The main idea is that no matter how much we want to think reality is a dream it is isn't.  I think the idea of the poem in the first half is that it talks about the poet having his wife pass away and he can't believe it. He loves her so much and can't believe she is dead now.I think it is about the poet's wife's loss because when the author says "take the kiss upon the brow" that means he kissed her on her eyebrow just like how people kiss a dead person's head when they are dead also he says "And in parting from you now"  means that he is leaving her which shows she is dead and they are leaving each other now. When he gives her a kiss on the eyebrow he shows hopelessness of leaving his life and that now his life is done.Also he shows that he is hopeless and that life has ended to him when he says "yet if hope has flown away" this as well illuminates that he has given up and is very depressed about his wife's loss since she is gone now. He as well must love her allot because he says " is but a dream within a dream" shows that he still can't believe it. In the second half the poet is on the beach filled with very high waves holding on to sand griping  it and doesn't want to leave that moment he is in.When the author says "O god! can I not save " this illuminates that the author wants to save the moment as much as he can and doesn't want to leave it.(CLASSWORK/HOMEWORK 3/15/13)

All You Who Sleep Tonight


All you who sleep tonight
Far from the ones you love,
No hand to left or right
And emptiness above -

Know that you aren't alone
The whole world shares your tears,
Some for two nights or one,
And some for all their years. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------Vikram Seth
All you who sleep tonight
Vikram Seth
***
                   After reading the poem "All You Who Sleep Tonight" by "Vikram Seth" the author Vikram is writing the idea that for the people who sleep alone without the ones they love they should know that their not alone their are many like them in the world as well.   I think this is the idea of this poem because the other says first "All you who sleep tonight, far from the ones you love" this shows that the speaker is speaking tot he people who are away from the ones they love also when the author says "Know that you aren't alone, the whole world shares your tears" this as well illuminates that the author is trying to say their is as well other people in the world that are facing the same situation  This poem reminds me of my cousin and his fiance. They live in different countries and they barely get to see each other but, distance can never destroy their love towards each other. (HOME WORK 3/14/13)

Hope Your Happy

I hope your happy with your life
I hope your happy with your wife
I hope you see what you have done
I hope you see that this is all wrong

I hope you realize that your not perfect
I hope you see that money's not worth it
I hope you realize that family comes first
I hope you see that my smile was rehearsed

I hope you see that your tearing me apart
I hope you someday grow a heart
I hope someday I will want to see you
I hope someday I wont have to see you

I hope you suffer, but I don't want that
I hope you die, but I don't mean that
I hope someday your 'love' will be real
I hope someday you will 'feel'

I hope you realize that money cant heal
I hope someday you'll feel, what I feel
I hope that before you die
I hope to tell you, I wont cry

I hoped you would be a good dad
I hoped you wouldn't make me mad
But all my hopes from before are gone
just like the love you had for their mom

I hope that I see you one last time
I hope I get to tell you this: 
'I wish I never knew you
because of you....I wish I didn't exist..."
Hope Your Happy
Jessica Anonymous
***
                     After I read the poem, "Hope your happy" by "Jessica Anonymous" I think the idea the author is trying to portray is that it is about her falling in love with a guy but, he turned out to not love her and actually love another girl. Throughout the poem the author is writing to him she is hoping he is happy without her and is as well telling him that she hopes to meet him one day and tell him "I wish I never knew you because of you...I wish I didn't exist...I believe that the author is heartbroken because she says " I hope your happy with your wife" so I am suspecting he was with the speaker before but, then left her for another girl also she says "But all my hopes from before before are gone just like the love you had for their mom" this as well illuminates that they had children together but her left her and her children. It also shows that the speaker loved him allot having hopes that he would be a perfect husband and father while on the other hand, he wasn't. But, while I was reading the poem I as well noticed that the speaker still has some feelings for the man that left her because she says "I hope you suffer,but I don't want that" this portrays how she still loves him and doesn't want bad things to happen to him even though he cheated on her and left her. Lastly  I also think that the author is trying to say as well that money can't but happiness because the speaker says in the poem "I hope you realize money can't heal" this as well proves that the speaker is telling him you are not forgiven by me with money and that she wants him to feel the ways she feels now heartbroken. (HOME WORK 3/14/13)

No comments:

Post a Comment